Class problem

Nicolas Triantafillou nick at uow.edu.au
Wed Aug 3 07:04:26 CEST 2005

Hi FAI'ers,

Once again I'm having hopefully what is a simple problem causing all my
machines to build incorrectly.

My classes aren't getting defined for certain machines and I can't figure
out why.

~~~~~~
Example 1 (working):

Machine name: sky-pc01

classes/50-host-classes lines:
    sky-*)
        echo "SKY";;

# cat classes/SKY
BOOT MBR GRUB
NETWORK
DHCPC
XFREE
WINDOW_MANAGERS
CLUSTER
ALL
SKY

During install:
List of all classes: DEFAULT LINUX I386 BOOT MBR GRUB NETWORK DHCPC XFREE
WINDOW_MANAGERS CLUSTER ALL SCSI LINUX I386 NIS LINUX_CS_UOW_EDU_AU SKY GRUB
TMP_PARTITION sky-pc01 LAST

~~~~~~
Example 2 (not working):

Machine name: vu

classes/50-host-classes lines:
    vu)
        echo "VIRTUAL";;

# cat classes/VIRTUAL
BOOT MBR GRUB
NETWORK
DHCPC
CLUSTER
ALL
VIRTUAL

During install:
List of all classes: DEFAULT SCSI LINUX I386 NIS LINUX_CS_UOW_EDU_AU VIRTUAL
GRUB vu LAST
~~~~~

As you can see, NETWORK, DHCPC, CLUSTER, ALL and a second instance of
"VIRTUAL" are missing. It looks like the file isn't being echo'd at all. I
had this problem a few weeks ago when two identical machines were being
echo'd the same class name, but one wasn't getting all of the classes
defined (like example 2), but the other machine worked perfectly. I "solved"
that one by swapping their ip addresses and hostnames, not a viable solution
in this case. I don't know why that worked at all and I can't see how it's
hostname based at all.

Please point out if I'm missing something obvious, because I certainly can't
see it.

Cheers,

Nicolas.