FAI 2.8 and Ubuntu Hoary : sfdisk: cannot open /dev/hda for reading

Henning Sprang henning_fai at gmx.de
Sun Apr 24 18:10:24 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 16:38 +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:

>     >     I don't know if this is somewhat related to the fact that Ubuntu
>     > uses udev by default, but sfdisk can't open /dev/hda on the target
>     > system for reading and so it can't partition the device and then the
>     > installation can't go on.
> Maybe the FAI setup scripts (inside the nfsroot) do not activate udev
> support on the install client. The default /etc/init.d scripts are not
> run by FAI. Do you know which scripts/commands are used to enable udev
> support?

For me, all that worked "out of the box", never needed to load udev
explicitly or manually. The seldom times when I have troubles with disks
found, where when i booted with an 2.4 fai kernel, but had only modules
for 2.6 in my nfsroot, actually one time this just happened because I
gave the path to my sarge nfsroot in dhcp config for that host.

Andre, does the kernel version you are booting correspond with the one
you have modules for in the nfsroot?

Henning