PXE with old network cards

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Tue Sep 28 11:32:52 CEST 2004

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 11:16:49AM +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I discovered how to used PXE boot with network cards, that don't
> support PXE boot itself. The newest version of etherboot (currently
> 5.3.9) also supports booting pxelinux that is needed in FAI. So you
> can easily create a small boot floppy (about 20k) for your NIC which
> then can do the PXE boot. Works perfectly for me.

Sure... did that in early August with an old WD8003 card (which
nevertheless didn't make me happy due to incredibly slow transmissions,
10Mbit is not what you really want...). It's on my fai-i386 log page.
I switched to FAI boot disks shortly afterwards because they'd allow
several NICs with one floppy setup...

Cheers,
 Steffen