Possibly silly: FAI served from OS X?

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Thu Sep 23 10:00:54 CEST 2004

    > This is possibly a foolish question, but I was wondering:
    > Is it possible to set up FAI on OS X? It seems conceptually valid, but
    > it's been difficult going for me, and it may be a worthless battle.
Can OS X use apt-get? If there's an apt repository for OS X the main
part may be already solved. The second questions is how to create a
minimal system, where we can chroot into. Debian is using debootstrap
for this, but what is OS X using? For Suse, RH and fedora there's a
project called mach (http://thomas.apestaart.org/projects/mach/) which
can build a chroot.

If we can not install OS X packages with apt-get, we have to adjust
the script install_packages.