broken FAI install

Travis Griggs tgriggs at key.net
Tue Sep 21 21:18:17 CEST 2004

I'm trying to debug a FAI based CD install we have. I didn't put the
original together, so I'm ramping up pretty quick on the learning curve
here. Older versions of the CD install seem to work fine. But somewhere
in there, a change was made that makes it so the CD install won't work
on hard drives bigger than 32G. If I use the jumper to limit the 40G
drive to just 32G it works fine. I've diff'd the contents of the CD
between the last known working one and earliest known failing one.
There's just not that many packages that changed. The only thing that's
changed is a couple of packages aren't in there (libdb2, slang-1). I've
put them back in, but to no avail. I'm running out of darts to throw,
as to why the old one worked on 32+ hard drives, and the new one
doesn't. The behavior for the failed installed is that grub gets as far
as telling us its loading stage 1.5. If we boot off of the CD's grub it
gets as far as actually presenting the menu,  but when we select the
kernel located on the hard drive, it prints out the grub menu item
info, and then just seems to hang. Any thoughts or ideas on what to do
to isolate (and fix) the problem would be hugely appreciated.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist