Installing woody with fai 2.6.3

Davide Di Giulio davide.digiulio at duet.it
Fri Oct 29 18:19:53 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 16:59, Paul Nijjar wrote:

> 	It may be possible but it will require quite a bit of fiddling
> with scripts:
> 	- The base and standard packages have changed from woody to sarge,
> so you will have to get rid of the sarge packages that are not available
> in woody (and maybe add woody packages whose names have changed for
> sarge). I am pretty sure this will affect make-fai-nfsroot as well.

I have created a debian mirror for each distribution (woody and sarge)
on the server. Then I'll pick up the packages frome here...or not?

> 	- The new 06hwdetect.source (and maybe a couple of other scripts)
> use discover2 for hardware detection. The old versions used discover1. The
> syntax between these two has changed significantly. If you can find a
> backport of discover2 for woody you may be able to install it and use the
> newer versions of the scripts.

Using directly the old 06hwdetect.source is not a good idea, isn't it?

> 	Most of FAI would not need to be changed -- it's all just Perl and
> shell scripts.
>
> 	I am not sure whether you can install woody and sarge both from
> the same server, using two nfsroots. Since make-fai-nfsroot takes "-n" and
> "-f" options, you might be able to get away with it using two different
> versions of fai.conf. But I have not tried this. I imagine that booting to
> the correct nfsroot might be a problem.

I could use two directories for nfsroot_woody and nfsroot_sarge. When I
install woody I set in fai.conf the variable NFSROOT to nfsroot_woody
and the same thing with sarge, when I install it. It' s too simplistic?

Bye.