PCMCIA Network card

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Thu Oct 21 12:39:00 CEST 2004

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 11:59:17AM +0200, Nils Aschenbruck wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've found some old mails that is was not possible to install with FAI via a
> PCMCIA network card.
>
> Is it still impossible?
> If it is possible now, what do I have to do?
> Do I need a special kernel?
>
> I already tried adding pcmcia-cs to NFSROOT_PACKAGES.

There are two critical moments for PCMCIA computer doing netboot.

* Booting (power up) the computer where it has to fetch a kernel.
* When the kernel comes alive

Both have to be able to setup the PCMCIA controller and PCMCIA card.

For the first one, search the etherboot archives[1] for the current
status of PCMCIA support.
For the second one is initial RAMdisk, initrd.gz, your friend.

> Best regards
> Nils Aschenbruck

Cheers Geert Stappers