Fake start stop deamon

Justin Beckley jbeckley at denshi.ece.utk.edu
Thu Mar 25 21:48:54 CET 2004

Everyone,

I am having problems with my FAI install.  It boots correctly and goes
through the entire install process, with only one error, but that error
can be ignored since it has to do with file copying.  When the machine
restarts though, it is using the  "Fake start stop deamon" for all the
processes, so nothing really works.  I can't use any of the services.
If I run:

/etc/init.d/kdm

which should launch the k desktop manager, it says

Starting K Desktop Manager: kdm
Warning: Fake start-stop-deamon called,. doing nothing.

Has anyone else seen this problem, or know what I've done to mess up my
install??  All help appreciated.

Justin Beckley