Altering FAI Boot Messages

Michael Gellman michael at gellman.cc
Fri Mar 5 15:00:10 CET 2004

I'm running FAI on computers that are connected to a serial terminal so
that I can remotely monitor them when they are running, and when they
are being installed.

The problem is that FAI uses ASCII control characters in the boot
message to make the FAI "logo" appear in red, and at the top of the
screen.

This works great on a monitor, but on my serial console, it causes the
FAI logo to be present for the entire session --- even after the machine
is rebooted. This also affects the scrolling of log messages, and
generally shrinks the usable screen real-estate.

I have simply removed the control characters from my local copy -- but
this isn't a permanent solution. Can either a variable be created that
tells whether or not to use the ASCII characters, or can some terminal
detection code be added that doesn't use these characters on serial
terminals? I would think the variable solution would be the easiest to
implement, and is reasonably clean.

Thanks for FAI!

Mike Gellman