Kernel 2.6

Michael Tautschnig michael.tautschnig at zt-consulting.com
Wed Mar 3 14:42:29 CET 2004

On Wednesday, 03. March 2004 13:58, you wrote:

>     > Hello!
>     > I'm currently installing some systems utilizing hardware not
>     > supported in kernel 2.4.24 but by kernel 2.6. Thus i built a new one
>     > myself - and expierenced some troubles;
>
> Which troubles? Without those information nobody can help you!

The following problem came up yesterday:

After fetching the packages, another apt-process is started by the first one,
having 99% CPU-Usage and stopping the system at

Preconfiguring packages ..
Fetched 154MB in 2m25s (1063kB/s)

Using kernel 2.4.24 everything works fine. Killing either of the processes
kills both (even when killing the child-process)!

By the way: I'm using fai 2.5.3 !

> I just started a little test with fai and a 2.6.3 kernel.
> Since shm fs is obsolete you have to patch create_ramdisk. Use this
> quick hack instead:
>
> mount -t shm shm /tmp || mount -t tmpfs none /tmp || {

Actually, you may as well simply use -t tmpfs instead of -t shm, as this also
works on 2.4.x-systems.

Thanks in advance,

Michael Tautschnig