fai-setup, woody & cfengine

Vincent Kraeutler vincent at igc.phys.chem.ethz.ch
Thu Jun 24 19:30:44 CEST 2004

dear fai users,

while trying to set up a fai server, we encountered the
following problem when running fai-setup.

>Automatically converting /etc/network/interfaces succeeded.
>Old interfaces file saved as interfaces.dpkg-old.
>hostname: Host name lookup failure
>Creating base.tgz
>Upgrading /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot
>Adding additional packages to /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot:
>portmap dhcp-client file rdate cfengine bootpc wget rsh-client less dump
>ext2resize strace hdparm parted dnsutils grub ntpdate psmisc
>dosfstools sysutils dialog libdetect0 discover mdetect read-edid kudzu hwtools
>E: Package cfengine has no installation candidate

a quick search in the mailing list archive revealed that we
are not the only ones who have seen this error. in fact, we
came across at least two replies by thomas lange, where he
indicates that the debian mirror used may not be set up
correctly. a quick look at our debian archives (as well as
those on sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch and ftp.debian.org) showed
that while a cfengine package for woody/i386 is indeed available
(in the pool directory), it is not referenced in the corresponding
Packages file which we believe to be
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/Packages
is this an error in the archive? if so, what, if anything, is to
be done about it?

cfengine is included in sarge, but after doing a dist-upgrade,
we are now missing the package libdetect0, which we confirmed to
have been removed from the distribution.

how should we proceed?

any help is appreciated,
kind regards,
vincent kraeutler