Generating bootfloppy to install Sarge in a Woody server

Ludwig Schwardt schwardt at dsp.sun.ac.za
Tue Jun 22 15:21:44 CEST 2004

Hi,

We use a Woody server with a Woody FAI nfsroot (still FAI 2.4.1). I created an
updatebase hook which switches the sources.list file to Sarge during
installation as follows:

updatebase.DEFAULT.source in <fai>/hooks contains a line:
fcopy /etc/apt/sources.list

Then I have two possible sources.list files,

<fai>/files/etc/apt/sources.list/DEBIAN_STABLE

and

<fai>/files/etc/apt/sources.list/DEBIAN_TESTING

which point to the appropriate archives. This allows me to select the Debian
flavour as a class and I can therefore install a firewall machine as Woody and a
workstation as Sarge with no hassles.

The only drawback is that the base installation of about 40MB is still Woody in
both cases and this will be upgraded to Sarge during installation, but for me
it's not a big price to pay for the simplicity of this scheme.

Regards,
Ludwig