Generating bootfloppy to install Sarge in a Woody server

Andre Luis Lopes andrelop at utah.com.br
Tue Jun 22 13:39:55 CEST 2004

Hello all,

    I'm trying to generate a bootfloppy in order to install Sarge from
an install server which runs Woody itself. I already created the nfsroot
just fine and when I try to generate the bootfloppy I'm getting an error
message like this :

fai-server:~# make-fai-bootfloppy -v
"FAI_FLAGS=verbose,createvt,sshd,syslogd,reboot" "FAI_ACTION=install"
Using configuration files from directory /etc/fai.
Creating an ext2 filesystem on floppy device /dev/fd0.
mke2fs 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
Creating the boot floppy with grub.
Copying the kernel /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot_sarge/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26-1-386
to the floppy.
/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot_sarge/sbin/grub: /lib/libc.so.6: version
`GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot_sarge/sbin/grub)
fai-server:~#

   It seems that grub from the nfsroot is trying to access the libc6
copy from outside the chroot and having problems as it seems that grub
from inside the chroot was probably built against libc6 from Sarge,
which is newer and so the symbol is not found.

    Question : does someone knows if this can be workarounded or I would
really need to build a install server based on Sarge ?

--
André Luís Lopes
andrelop at utah.com.br