beta version of next fai release available

Nicolas Triantafillou nick at uow.edu.au
Wed Jul 14 07:43:35 CEST 2004

Thomas,

>     - make FAI ready-to-use for sarge

This is great, I got a sarge machine installed after a small bit of
fiddling [mostly my fault when trying to merge my config with it]. This
was timed perfectly! I just realised woody wouldn't do what I needed and
was about to start trying out sarge today. :)

>     - make the examples much easier, remove a lot of unused stuff

haven't looked into this a lot, I noticed that the 'printers' variable
is gone, I will probably just re-add that bit to my own scripts (it was
useful, though maybe i'm the only one using it ;-)

>     - fai.conf is split into two files, make-fai-nfsroot specific
>       variables are moved to /etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf

makes sense.

>     - make-fai-nfsroot: more packages for hardware detection included,
>       write a warning if $FAI_SOURCES_LIST is used
>     - rcS_fai: if a file /.nocolorlogo exists, do not enable colored
>       logo and let scroll region unchanged
>     - 06hwdetect.source: new call of discover2, includes now code of
>       11modules.source
>     - task_sysinfo: show serial numbers of hard disks, show usb
>       information
>     - fai-chboot with PXE can now use localboot, so we need not copy
>       the kernel image and initrd to the install server, new option -d
>     - grub-install does not probe floppy drive (which can hang the system
>       for a long time)

not a huge impact on my stuff, but could be useful ;-)

>     - mkdebmirror: mirrors now woody and sarge in one directory

This is also excellent, last night I mirrored sarge and realised it
killed my woody mirror, managed to re-grab it all without too much
hassle though.

Overall, it looks good. The only problem i've found so far is after the
install, the network card isn't being activated on boot. A quick search
found that 'moduleslist' in class/DEFAULT.var only had e100, not e1000
(which I needed). I changed it to that and it worked nicely. (This used
to be 'echo "e1000" >> $target/etc/modules' in scripts/LAST.var from
what I can see?)

Thanks for the work you've done, Once i'm done configuring, maintenance
of the 200 machines I look after will be a breeze.

Nicolas.