Pre-configuring packages?

Peter Mottram peter at sysnix.com
Mon Jan 26 19:49:48 CET 2004

As this is Debian then debconf-communicate is the best mechanism if the
package plays ball properly with debconf. Here is an example I use for
openssh in a class script for openvpn......

$ROOTCMD /bin/sh -c \
  'echo "set openvpn/create_tun true" | debconf-communicate'
$ROOTCMD /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure -f noninteractive openvpn

I have had situations where this fails and for those have ended up
downloading a package using wget and then simply echoing responses through
a 'dpkg -i' in a class script.

R.
PeteM