Fake start-stop-daemon is kept after installation

Olaf Rogalsky Olaf.Rogalsky at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Tue Jan 20 15:02:11 CET 2004

Hello,

we have the problem, that after the successfull (?) installation process a
fake start-stop-daemon is kept in /sbin. One of the last actions of the
"finish task" is to remove the start-stop-daemon diversion and replaces it by
start-stop-daemon.distrib. Unfortunately this start-stop-daemon.distrib is
a faked one, which does not start or stop daemons. The real start-stop-daemon
file exists with the path $TARGET/sbin/start-stop-daemon.REAL.

The fai installation scripts we are using, are basically the scripts of
the simple example, provided in the fai documentation.
Differences are a custom self compiled kernel (2.4.24), a self made
hard disk portitioning script with jfs filesystem, and a few minor tweaks.
Evering seems to work quite well so far, with the exception of this
fake start-stop-daemon.

A first guess of us is, that some package is needed to be installed, but
apt-file does not give us a hint which one. Probably it s in the base.tgz.

A simple hack of course would be, to copy  start-stop-daemon.REAL over
start-stop-daemon, but we would like to know first, what has gotten wrong.