trouble getting fai to install a kernel image

Mike Horansky moho at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 8 11:29:52 CET 2004

Thomas Lange <lange at informatik.Uni-Koeln.DE> [on 2003-12-19 05:45] wrote:
> >> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 04:00:45 -0800, Mike Horansky <moho at stanford.edu> said:
>
>     > Hello again, Do kernels that are to be installed by FAI need
>     > to not have an initrd?  I made sure the chroot and nfsroot
>     > have

> No, they do not need to have an initrd. All kernel packages that are
> made by make-kpkg can be installed with or without using an initrd.
>
> In the script DEFAULT/S01 is a line
>
> fcopy /etc/kernel-img.conf
>
> The DEFAULT file for this config file defines if an initrd should be
> build or not.

Thanks!

My /usr/local/share/fai/scripts/DEFAULT/S01 file was from an older FAI
install. I overwrote it with
/usr/share/doc/fai/examples/simple/scripts/DEFAULT/S01.

I also copied
/usr/share/doc/fai/examples/simple/files/etc/kernel-img.conf/DEFAULT
into /usr/local/share/fai/files/etc/kernel-img.conf/ .

> Therefore you MUST define the kernel package to be installed with
> the variable $addpackages (in a class/*.var file), and not add the
> package name to a file in package_config. This is because the file
> kernel-img.conf will be copies in DEFAULT/S01 and after that the
> packages defined in $addpackages will be installed.

In /usr/local/share/fai/class/MySystem.var, I commented out the line
kernelimage=kernel-image-2.4.20-grsec-1.9.9e_10.00.Custom_i386.deb

and added "kernel-image-2.4.20-grsec-1.9.9e" to the

addpackages=" "

line.

So my first fai'd Debian system is now running.

(I noticed that there is no /etc/grub.conf file. I suppose I will just
make /etc/grub.conf a link to /boot/grub/menu.lst.)

> P.S:
> If you add a time-servers entry to your dhcpd.conf (this is
> normally your fai install server, which only needs inetd running to
> obtain the time) the warning messages from tar will go away, and your
> install client will have the correct time set.

I ran

ntpdate TimeServer

and then

hwclock --systohc

:)

--
-Mike Horansky, ITSS/TSS/Computing Systems (Unix)
 moho at stanford.EDU

OPINIONS EXPRESSED BY ME ARE NOT NECESSARILY SHARED BY MY EMPLOYERS.