where does domain get set

Wed Feb 11 19:16:23 CET 2004

    > Where does the DOMAIN variable get set during the install?  Things
    > depending upon the $DOMAIN aren't working because for some reason it's
    > not set in our config/installation (like /etc/hostname, /etc/mailname,
    > etc).

    > ...but I don't know where I'm supposed to set it.  Am I supposed to be
    > setting it in the menu.lst on the boot floppy?  Our current menu.lst
    > looks like this:
You can set in in any class/*.var file.

I found it here. It's needed for cfengine and for creating the
resolv.conf during installation. When it's defined a resolv.conf is
created and copied to the new system. It's not a must.

share/subroutines:     DNSDOMAIN=$DOMAIN

lib/create_resolv_conf:

# create a resolv.conf using the DHCP or BOOTP information
if [ "$DNSSRVS" ]; then
        [ "$DOMAIN" ] && echo "domain $DOMAIN" >/tmp/etc/resolv.conf
        for dnshost in $DNSSRVS ; do
            echo "nameserver $dnshost" >>/tmp/etc/resolv.conf
        done
else
    # use the resolv.conf from the installserver
    cp -p /etc/resolv.conf-installserver /tmp/etc/resolv.conf
fi