fai success story

Olaf Rogalsky Olaf.Rogalsky at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Wed Feb 4 20:07:32 CET 2004

Hi,

nice to hear about your success.

Venkata wrote:
> Gnome 2) have broken dependencies in sarge, and when these failed to
> install, the entire install
> was aborted. Basically how I got around this was by studying the logs
> after each install and removing
> the broken package from the package list(s). It took quite a few
> installs to get everything right, but once
> all the broken packages were removed, there were no problems.
This is an interesting aspect. I am currently fighting with a similar
problem. I am using an "instsoft" hook to upgrade the system from
stable to testing before the real package install starts. The real package
installation then goes on with testing as target distribution.

I am currently selecting all packages, which shall be installed on the clients.
Whenever I make a mistake, or whenever some dependencies are broken, the
installation process stops. Then I have to resolve the problem by choosing
suitible  packages and restart all over again, which is a time consuming,
boring task.

This leads to my question: Is it possible to prevent apt from
terminating when broken dependencies arise and instead try to install
as much as possible?

Olaf

I Dr. rer. nat. Olaf Rogalsky     Institut fuer Theoretische Physik I
I                                 Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg   I
I Tel.: 09131 8528440             Staudtstr. 7 B3                   I
I Fax.: 09131 8528444             D-91058 Erlangen                  I