rsh & GRUB/lilo strangeness

Wed Dec 22 19:19:59 CET 2004

    > rsh -l fai faiserver   failed.
    > I tried to replicate this command in the shell window, and it could not
    > figure out the hostname. Then I put "faiserver" as the name of my fai
    > install server in /etc/hosts in the nfs install image and it shows up on

Use the variable $NFSROOT_ETC_HOSTS in make-fai-nfsroot.conf for this.

    > rsh -l fai 10.10.10.34
    > it prompts me for a password immediately. It is almost like /etc/hosts is
    > being ignored. I'm not sure where it is supposed to get the value for
    > faiserver from if not /etc/hosts.

    > It appears not to be fully working anyway, since I don't think it is
    > supposed to be asking for a password. (based on the fact that there is a
    > .rhosts file in user fai's home directory)
The .rhosts must not be readable by other users. Do a chmod go-wrx .rhosts

    > This then generates a new GRUB error, even though I told the client to
    > install LILO instead of GRUB (I was having problems with GRUB previously,
    > but noone responded about that one). The GRUB error is:

    > Grub loading stage 1.5.

Is a kernel installed into the new system? Have a look at shell.log.
How does the /tmp/target/boot/grub/menu.lst looks like (before you
reboot the install client? Did you add the class MBR? This isntalls
the boot loader into the master boot record. Otherwiese the boot
loader is only in the boot partition and maybe an old mbr is used.