rsh & GRUB/lilo strangeness

Paul English tallpaul at speakeasy.org
Wed Dec 22 19:00:49 CET 2004

So I'm having a couple of strange problems. It seems that the fai install
is running pretty smoothly. The screen says "Install took X seconds.."

It then moves on to a new task and reports:

rsh -l fai faiserver   failed.

I tried to replicate this command in the shell window, and it could not
figure out the hostname. Then I put "faiserver" as the name of my fai
install server in /etc/hosts in the nfs install image and it shows up on
the client, but it the error is the same. Most strange. However, if I do:

rsh -l fai 10.10.10.34

it prompts me for a password immediately. It is almost like /etc/hosts is
being ignored. I'm not sure where it is supposed to get the value for
faiserver from if not /etc/hosts.

It appears not to be fully working anyway, since I don't think it is
supposed to be asking for a password. (based on the fact that there is a
.rhosts file in user fai's home directory)

Anyway, I figured out that the rsh is basically to go back and tell the
server not to install the client the next time it boots up, so since I
didn't know how to do that, I rebooted the client and told the BIOS to
boot from the hard drive.

This then generates a new GRUB error, even though I told the client to
install LILO instead of GRUB (I was having problems with GRUB previously,
but noone responded about that one). The GRUB error is:

Grub loading stage 1.5.

Grub loading..
Error 15

Does anyone have any ideas about all of this?

Paul