mdadm raid1 booting

Markus Törnqvist mjt at nysv.org
Thu Dec 16 13:18:07 CET 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 10:50:01PM -0500, malk at sidehack.sat.gweep.net wrote:

>If you add a hook called configure.SOME_CLASS that
>does fcopy /etc/raidtab to get a raidtab in place before
>mkinitrd above runs, the error goes away.  mkinitrd simply

I see.. I noticed I was pretty stupid with my hook, I forgot
what I'd read/skimmed in the documentation. I got it working,
per se, but it didn't do what I wanted to ;)

>checks for the existence of /etc/raidtab in your target install
>and if it doesn't find it, it spits out "RAID support requires
>raidtools2".  I think it does the test for /etc/raidtab when
>it detects a root raid situation (it's told root is on an
>md device).

Isn't raidtab 2.4 technology? iirc 2.6 doesn't use it anymore,
and thus it's redundant for me, as I run 2.6.*-ck kernels...

>I've got an example RAID-1 setup of config files that go on top
>of the FAI simple example posted here if you want to get something
>working quickly:
>http://www.linuxma.com/fai_raid

I will look into that and tell how it went.

Now the host machine is in a somewhat broken state; the disks
are 200GB RAID1 and the BIOS LBA is only 28-bit, so I can't
boot it directly.

Stupid of me not to test-boot it (it must be booted with pxe)
after the RAID become operational, but I will fix it today.

--
mjt