more than 2TB?

Holger Levsen fai at layer-acht.org
Sat Dec 11 12:39:21 CET 2004

Hi,

don't know much, but maybe I can give at least a little help...

> I'm trying to install Debian using FAI on a system equipped with a Very
> Large (>2TB) RAID array.

wow ;)

> The install kernel doesn't take notice of the device because
> - it contains the 1st version of the 3w-9xxx driver
> - it probably hasn't LBD support configured properly
> so I will have to postpone configuration of the device to the first
> reboot of the "real" kernel (which is built with LBD and 3w-9xxx).

or (re-)build your own fai-kernel... ?!

> Unfortunately, neither fdisk nor sfdisk has been built with LBD support.

and fdisk/sfdisk-packages ;) Then install those inside your nfsroot.

> Should I consider missing LBD support a bug of Debian packages (and
> consequently file a bug), or am I missing something?

I would suggest to file bugs with priority "wishlist". And I'm sure the bugs
against (s)fdisk won't be fixed before sarge is released...

> Is there a *fdisk
> utility that can handle large block devices out of the box, and can be
> driven by a small script (fdisk isn't optimal to do this...)?

don't know.

regards,
 Holger