Separate NFS and TFTP server (Second attempt)

Timm Essigke Timm.Essigke at uni-bayreuth.de
Wed Aug 4 12:13:53 CEST 2004

Dear list!

Since I didn't get a reply on my first mail, I thought maybe my question
was not clear enough, so I try to reformulate it:

Is there a way to define the IP of the NFS-server for mounting the root
filesystem independent of the FAI/TFTP server?

Background: I want to split services on servers as much as possible. The
way I do it (with vservers) does not allow to run more than one NFS
server on the same physical machine, but I don't want to have the
FAI/TFTP server on the same (virtual) machine as the NFS server. For the
sake of the discussion you can think, that I want to have the services
on two independent physical computers (e.g. a head node of a cluster and
a NAS appliance).

I can PXE boot my client, it gets an initial kernel from the FAI/TFTP
server, does a DHCP request and than tries to mount the root filesystem
from the same IP. I would like to set a different IP for the NFS server.
I assume that it should be possible to set the IPs shown as "Bootserver"
and "Rootserver" independent of the FAI-IP, but I can't find where to do so.

I would greatly appreciate any hints! Even a "Is not possible!" would
help me. I have one or two ideas for workarounds, but I would very much
prefer a clean solution.

Thank you very much!

Timm