FAI Upgrade tips, questions on creating package lists

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sun Aug 1 12:19:35 CEST 2004

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 02:43:20PM -0400, malk at sidehack.sat.gweep.net wrote:

> >     > I found the simple solution is to upgrade the debootstrap package on the box
> >     > before calling fai-setup
> > Yep. This is very important.
>
> Cool -- perhaps you could add a note somewhere in the FAI guide
> or add a file to the package called Readme.upgrade or something
> to mention some prerequisites when upgrading:
>
> - Make sure your using the latest debootstrap
> - If your configs area is based on the scripts that came
>   with an older FAI release, make sure you merge in the
>   updates from the master copies of the sripts in
>   /usr/share/doc/fai/example/simple / advanced.
> - Re-check your variable definitions in fai.conf
>   make-fai-nfsroot.conf and sources.list
>
> I also wanted to note that the DEFAULT/S01 script that
> comes with the simple example can report a failed exit
> status from rc.S output if the last grep towards the
> bottom happens to return a non-zero exit status yet
> the script executed just fine.
>
> Suggest simply adding an "exit 0" to the bottom of
> DEFAULT/S01 to make this cosmetic error go away.
>
> On some of my machines, DEFAULT/S01 exits clean and
> on others it falsely reports a failed status due to
> the return status of the last grep.  I always feel
> better about an FAI install when none of the scripts
> report any errors (failed exit status).

Search for the source files of it, say it is called well.txt
make copy of it, say it is called well.txt.original
modify well.txt
make an unified diff by

 diff -u well.txt.original well.txt

and send the output to the mailinglist.

You just made a patch. And patches are allways welcome.

> One other question:
 <snip/>

Cheers
Geert Stappers