Configuring gpm automaticly

Martin_J Carter Martin.J.Carter at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Apr 22 20:29:56 CEST 2004

begin  quote  Haakon Humberset <humbe at interagon.com> 2004-04-22 13:26:49:

>I was trying to add gpm package to my desktop install, but that broke
>the system.
>
>GPM tries to get configure data, and since install isn't interactive, it
>gets automatic answers.. Assuming it gets yes to all questions.. Problem
>is where GPM asks if you want to redo the configuration (y/n), and I get
>an eternal loop configuring over and over :)
>
>Is it the package that is broken and doesn't understand that's it's a
>non-interactive setup, or can something be done, to prevent packages
>asking questions?..
>
>Any solutions?

I had this particular looping problem too.  I solved it once by hacking
one of the scripts to (I *think*) touch the target's /etc/gpm.conf, and
again by defining GPM and KINGDOM, and creating:

[begin /usr/local/share/fai/hooks/instsoft.GPM]
adddivert /usr/sbin/gpmconfig
fcopy /etc/gpm.conf
[end]

.... with an appropriate prototype config file in
/usr/local/share/fai/files/gpm.conf/KINGDOM .  The above may or
may not be all I did the second time round .... it's been a *long* time.
Hope that helps.

PS: Apologies for this wretched alleged mailer.

        MaJoC
----
Dr M J Carter
Physics and Astronomy