using FAI to maintain (as well as install) systems?

Erik Rossen rossen at freesurf.ch
Fri Oct 10 15:03:09 CEST 2003

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 11:49:07PM +0200, Henning Glawe wrote:
> 2) for updating a system, a script 'fai-update-system' is called, which
>    is basically a normal FAI installation, of cause skipping
>    partitioning and bootstrapping ;).

Sounds a lot like what I am looking for for my machines that were
installed with FAI.  But I will probably have to go with my current idea
for machines that were not constructed with FAI.

> For simplicity, configuration of the system is done via a recursive
> fcopy call, we just have too many files to use the one-by-one method ;)

Same here.

> There are a few local patches and scripts left (and I'm using a
> different packaging scheme), which I try to update to the current FAI
> version... with some luck, Thomas will accept some (or most ?) of it.
>
> Documentation is a 'black chapter': I just started documenting my code,
> as a fist part the general usage of CVS for storing configuration data.
> I just saw Thomas merged this into fai-cvs.
> Next will be the updating mechanism... but, maybe as everyone else, I
> hate writing documentation ;), so I always have to fight against myself
> to stop hacking but document instead.

As a first step, would you consider making a tarball of your
modifications available for public viewing?

--
Erik Rossen                          ^    OpenPGP key: 2935D0B9
rossen at freesurf.ch                  /e\   "Use GnuPG, see the