newer boot kernel?

Haakon Humberset humbe at interagon.com
Sun Nov 30 00:55:11 CET 2003

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Jay Kusler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have successfully used fai on a handfull of machines.  Nice!
>
> I have some newer machines with onboard Intel Ethernet NICs (lspci
> shows 02:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 1013)
> that are apparently not supported with the e1000 driver in kernels
> 2.4.20 and below.  So to use fai with those machines, I need to upgrade
> the boot kernel to 2.4.21 or above.  I tried using config-2.4.20 as
> a starting point, and the kernel seemed to build fine.  However,
> re-making nfsroot fails with lots of module dependency errors.
> Any idea what I'm doing wrong, or any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jay Kusler

I have the same onboard card in my intel 875 chipset, and made my own
2.4.22 kernel that worked just fine.. I also used config-2.4.20 file as
base. Did you use make-kpkg to create your custom kernel, and let
make-fai-nfsroot set up the nfsroot using your new kernel package? If no,
try that.. If you don't get it working, try to compile the necessary parts
of the kernel into the kernel instead of as modules.. Depmod errors like
the ones you're getting usually mean that the modules you attempt to load
isn't compiled for the kernel currently loaded.

Regards..

Haakon Humberset