newer boot kernel?

Jay Kusler kusler at nscl.msu.edu
Sat Nov 29 18:08:03 CET 2003

Hello,

I have successfully used fai on a handfull of machines.  Nice!

I have some newer machines with onboard Intel Ethernet NICs (lspci
shows 02:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 1013)
that are apparently not supported with the e1000 driver in kernels
2.4.20 and below.  So to use fai with those machines, I need to upgrade
the boot kernel to 2.4.21 or above.  I tried using config-2.4.20 as
a starting point, and the kernel seemed to build fine.  However,
re-making nfsroot fails with lots of module dependency errors.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong, or any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jay Kusler

-------------------------------------
some output:

Creating base.tgz
Upgrading /usr/lib/fai-bootcd/nfsroot
Looking for keymap to install:
NONE
Adding additional packages to /usr/lib/fai-bootcd/nfsroot:
dhcp3-client ssh portmap file rdate cfengine cvs bootpc rsync wget
rsh-client less dump reiserfsprogs dpkg-dev ext2resize strace hdparm parted
dnsutils ntpdate dosfstools sysutils dialog discover mdetect libnet-perl
perl-modules dhcp3-common binutils perl grub libdetect0 read-edid kudzu
hwtools
Creating SSH2 RSA key
Creating SSH2 DSA key
Restarting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.
Creating CVS repository in /var/lib/cvs...
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.21/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpuid.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.21/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/microcode.o
and so on for many, many lines until it quits