got fai-bootcd working with woody, but...

Niall Young niall at chime.net.au
Tue Nov 18 03:29:23 CET 2003

On 17 Nov 2003, Holger Levsen wrote:

> finally, we got fai-bootcd almost working ;-)

What's still not working?

>         { ${target}/usr/share/mkinitrd-cd/linuxrc
>           ReplaceAll "#CDROMDEVVAR=/proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info" With "CDROMDEVVAR=/proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info"
>           HashCommentLinesContaining "prepareroot"
>           HashCommentLinesContaining "mount --bind"

> interesting bit is that it doesn't use devfs.

Ok I'll assume devfs isn't working with mkinitrd-cd 0.19 and will
include these into linuxrc.patch  I believe >=0.25 works out of the box
but I haven't checked it in a while.

> Also included is updatebase.log which has some errors.
> /etc/apt/sources.list (on the cd) has only one line:
> deb file:/fai/packages woody fai
> task_install installs the packages without a problem, though.

Cheers - I should probably rename the instsoft.DEFAULT hook to
updatebase.DEFAULT to keep things clean, will look into it.

> (lei91 is the hostname; if I use dhcp to obtain the hostname, /fai gets
> mounted via nfs which I don't want (cause normally there is no
> fai-server when using a fai-bootcd))

Are you able to have two separate dhcp subnets, one that doesn't supply
NFSROOT for your CDs?

> Niall (or someone else), how do you encounter this problem ?

I do a db query in scripts/* to fetch hostname, IP, extra classes etc.
You could write a simple script to check the local MAC and set your
host details from that, but a dhcp server for a CD-only environment
sounds more flexible.

> Oh, and last and least, there is a typo in line 24 in
> /usr/share/doc/fai-bootcd/fai-bootcd.HOWTO.gz:
> "patch -p0 /usr/lib/fai/sbin/install_packags..."
> instead of
> "patch -p0 /usr/lib/fai/sbin/install_packages..."

Cheers :-)

Niall Young                                    Chime Communications Pty Ltd
niall at chime.net.au                            Level 6, 263 Adelaide Terrace
Ph: (+61) 08 9213 1330 / 0408 192 797         Perth, Western Australia 6000

    "Are you a parent who would like to involve your kids in an iiNsanity
    event?"
                                        -- Jodie Evans, Mar 2003