minor problems, if client has no name [patch!]

W. Borgert debacle at debian.org
Tue Nov 11 22:02:38 CET 2003

Hi,

in my environment, client and server don't have DNS.  A small
patch to subroutines-linux and fai.conf allows installation
anyway :-)  The patch for subroutines-linux is attached.  It
supersedes also a patch that I sent last week or so which had
wrong spaces around a '=' anyway.

For fai.conf, I don't send a patch, because the FAI maintainers
should decide, at which place the new variable FAI_FIXEDSERVER
shall go.  I have it directly after 'installserver=...':

# if DNS is broken, you must set installserver to the IP number
# of the FAI server and set FAI_FIXEDSERVER to it's name
FAI_FIXEDSERVER=

Some problems remain: As the client thinks it's name is e.g.
192.168.47.11, with a host part '192', the FAI class 192 is
tried to be executed.  OK, the class does not exist, so no
harm.  But it would be good to check somewhere, whether a
valid hostname exists and give a "generic" name, such as
"faiclient".  Is this a good idea?

Is there a possibility to set the client's name at the kernel
command line?  FAI_CLIENTNAME=myname?

Cheers, WB