still problems using fai-bootcd

Holger Levsen hl at hbt.de
Thu Nov 6 18:39:40 CET 2003

Hi Niall, hi all...

I work together with Thomas W and we still have no sucess with
fai-bootcd.

> > We use our own fai-kernel and after recompiling it with devfs and iso9660
> > and after uncommenting the line:
> > CDROMDEVVAR=/proc/sys....
> > in /usr/share/mkinitrd-cd/linuxrc
>
> Which version of fai-bootcd and fai are you using again?

We use pure woody systems ;-) and therefor we use fai-bootcd 0.2.1-2
and fai-2.3.1

>  linuxrc should
> have already been patched with fai-bootcd 0.2.x

No, it isn't - it still calls /sbin/prepareroot which is only available
in gibraltar-bootsupport - but we don't that package, right.

> v0.3.x is only meant
> for sarge where mkinitrd-cd's linuxrc has been fixed but it sounds like
> fai isn't quite ready for sarge installs.

how is linuxrc fixed ?

>  Ooh, I just checked the patch
> and I'm not uncommenting CDROMDEVVAR like I thought.  Bugger.

well, we fixed that locally ;)

> > /linuxrc: /sbin/prepareroot: not fond
> > and indeed, I can't find it either.
> > Do you know what's wrong?
>
> Check the output of make-fai-bootcd for any errors, make sure the initrd
> was built properly, run make-fai-bootcd with the -d flag and check the
> contents of your initrd in /tmp/ etc. before burning it.

make-fai-bootcd reports no errors, the only problem - at least to me -
is the linuxrc which calls prepareroot.

After prepareroot linuxrc calls init that fails, too. Have a look at the
attached screenshot, please.

> When I get
> time I'll add more error checking to those scripts and apply some
> patches I've gotten recently.  Feel free to email me directly if you
> need more help, the more feedback I get the more bugs I can fix.

your help is very much appreciated!

regards,
	Holger

--

Hamburger Berater Team GmbH     Telefon: 040/369779-0
Stadthausbrücke 3 (Fleethof)    Telefax: 040/369779-99
20355 Hamburg                   eMail  : hl at hbt.de
				Web    : http://www.hbt.de