demohost doesn't match classes

Andreas Schockenhoff asc at gmx.li
Wed Nov 5 23:05:45 CET 2003

Hello,

On Wednesday 05 November 2003 22:45, amy at real-time.com wrote:

> Our current dhcp server is on a RH box, obviously, so it's a separate
> box from the FAI server.  Will any of these options work?
I think no problem. (ISC dhcp server?)
If you want to have the tftp server on the fai server use the
option next server in the dhcp server setup

> 1. Install using PXE with dhcp server on RH box and FAI on separate
> debian box
> - I tried this initially but (not knowing much about PXE), it appears
> that PXE expects the pxelinux.0 file to be on the dhcp server and
> there's no way to tell it to grab it from another machine.  Is this
> correct?
No.
# the server from which to load the initial boot file if different
# from server-name
next-server lap;

> 2. Install using dhcp with dhcp server on RH box and FAI on separate
> debian box (no boot floppy)
> - I tried this but it sets rootserver=dhcp server, which obviously
> won't work.
Sorry, I do not understand this question.

> 3. Install with boot floppy using DHCP method
> - This would be nice so that I wouldn't have to hardcode the IP of
> the FAI server on a floppy.
Works if dhcp works.

> Here's the applicable contents of my dhcpd.conf:
>
>         host demohost {
>           hardware ethernet 00:08:74:39:6D:02;
>           filename "pxelinux.0";
>           fixed-address demohost;
>           server-name "debian3.dhcp.ncs.ahcprc.org";
>           option root-path "/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot";
>           option host-name "demohost.ncs.ahpcrc.org";
> 	}

Have you set?
use-host-decl-names on;

bye Andreas