FAI client cannot save log files (mis-configuration?)

Andreas Schockenhoff asc at gmx.li
Wed Nov 5 22:31:15 CET 2003

Hello,
On Wednesday 05 November 2003 22:01, W. Borgert wrote:

> Unfortunately, currently neither client nor server can have NIS
> or DNS entries.  Both can act as NIS clients, but the user 'fai'
> is not in the YP passwd etc.
So I think fai only work with big restrictions.
NIS I think fai can live without.
DNS you can try to use host files. Not nice.
DHCP or BOOTP I don't think it make sense to work without this.

But I think you can rewrite the code to a new installer so he works
with only a mounted directory.
A good point to start can be fai-bootcd:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~niall/fai/

> > The other config I use, use no nis but ssh insted . (with some
> > small modification in nfsroot ....)
>
> SSH is surely the way to go, but I think, for the first step
> the non-SSH way is easier.  Maybe I'm wrong.  What steps did
> you take for the SSH setup?  Will it work with my non-existant
> NIS and DNS environment?
I think for the first way it is easier to make your own subnet and have
it under your control. :-)

bye Andreas