FAI client cannot save log files (mis-configuration?)

W. Borgert debacle at debian.org
Wed Nov 5 22:01:38 CET 2003

Hi,

thanks for the hints!  See below...

Quoting Andreas Schockenhoff <asc at gmx.li>:
> in /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/etc/init.d/rcS
> set -xv # for full debugging
>
> Set this if you need more info:
> /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/usr/lib/fai/fai-savelog
> #! /bin/bash -x

OK, that gives a lot of debugging output in /tmp/fai.

> than I hope you will see the problem.
>
> Have you tested rcp form target to server?

Yes.  It does not work, while rsh -l fai <serverip> works well
without requiring a password.  With rcp I get a "Permission
denied."  Funny: interactive login with rsh works well, but e.g.
'rsh -l fai <serverip> date' gives also "Permission denied."

> My config does only work with correct nis, dns setup.

Unfortunately, currently neither client nor server can have NIS
or DNS entries.  Both can act as NIS clients, but the user 'fai'
is not in the YP passwd etc.

> The other config I use, use no nis but ssh insted . (with some small
> modification in nfsroot ....)

SSH is surely the way to go, but I think, for the first step
the non-SSH way is easier.  Maybe I'm wrong.  What steps did
you take for the SSH setup?  Will it work with my non-existant
NIS and DNS environment?

Cheers, WB