Compaq Alphaservers and FAI

David Bremner bremner at unb.ca
Wed Nov 5 13:41:07 CET 2003

At Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:47:08 +0100,
Thomas Lange wrote:

> Looks very good. You solve one of the main problems.
> Sure, it should be possible. Now, let's check following things:
>
> - will you use bootp or dhcp to supply FAI_FLAGS, FAI_ACTION and
>   FAI_LOCALTION?
I can use either. I use both in the current setup; the alpha boot rom
(SRM) only speaks bootp -- after boot I use dhcp.

> - Which packages that are included in make-fai-nfsroot and the
>   package_config examples are not available on alpha architecture?
> - Which packages should be added?
Still figuring this out.

> - is sfdisk available on alpha? If not, you can't use setup_harddisk
>   to partition your harddisk. Is alpha using msdos partition tables?

sfdisk is installed on debian alpha. But I will have to check the docs
for partitioning info.

> - which boot loader can be used? Currently only lilo and grub is
>   supported and tested with i386

This may be the biggest sticking point.  I am using aboot.  What does
fai need from a bootloader?

db