preserve existing partitions

Bruce Edge bedge at troikanetworks.com
Thu Mar 20 17:30:03 CET 2003

Sure, in /usr/share/doc/fai/README.disk_config.gz it states:

Preserving partitions:

It is possible to preserve the size of a partition or additionally to
preserve the existing data on this partition. To preserve only the
partition size, the number of the partition must be unchanged and the
size must be specified as "preserve<no>". The number <no> is the
device number (used by /dev/hda*, or see output of "df") of the
partition. Primary partitions are numbered from one to four, the
numbers for logical partitions begin at five.

In this example, the partitions' numbers  (= device number) are also
shown for disk sdb:

primary   /tmp        300-500     #  1
primary   /backup     preserve2   #  2
logical   swap        50-100      # (3)   5
logical   /scratch2   100-300     # (3)   6
logical   -           preserve7   # (3)   7
logical   /var        100         # (3)   8
logical   /var/tmp    preserve9   # (3)   9
primary   /tmp/mytmp  -300        #  4

-Bruce