Cluster administration

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Jun 20 02:29:39 CEST 2003

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Ari Pollak wrote:
> I'm planning to install a group of about 15 Debian machines with FAI,
> with the possibility of this cluster growing to more than 100
> machines.
>
> The installation seems easy enough and I've seen a lot of success
> reports with large clusters and FAI, but nobody seems to have reported
> anything about administration _after_ the initial installation.

FAI is much more focused on the initial install, as far as I can tell.

> I'm wondering if anyone has set any kind of group synchronization up
> on FAI installations, e.g. to make sure every machines has the same
> packages installed, to make sure the configuration files are the same
> if the master has changed, etc.

I do this, both at home and at work. Have a look at the reference work
at <http://www.infrastructures.org/>, which cross-references the various
options for doing this sort of management.

        Daniel

--
There is no happiness in having or in getting, but only in giving.
        -- Henry Drummond