Installation aborted

Yuri Adrián González Robles ygonza at ife.org.mx
Wed Jun 4 05:28:44 CEST 2003

Hi, it's me again.

I'm answering to my self in the hope that someone else can use this.

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 17:37, Yuri Adrián González Robles wrote:
> Hi!!
>
> I've spend a couple of days trying to setup FAI on a DELL PowerEdge 600
> SC.
>
> I finally managed to get the kernel (2.4.20) to mount "/" via NFS.
>
> However, as soon as FAI beggins, the following messages appear:
>
> /etc/init.d/rcS: /dev/fd62: No such file or directory
> /etc/init.d/rcS: /dev/tty4: Permission denied
> /etc/init.d/rcS: /dev/fd62: No such file or directory

The problem here, is that the link /dev/fd was not "mounted" to the
client. This is weird, because I _do_ got the link "/dev/fd" in the
/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot directory on the FAI server.

As a very primitive workaround I added the following line to
$FAI_NFS_ROOT/sbin/rcS_fai:

[ ! -L /dev/fd ] && ln -s /proc/self/fd /dev/fd

And the error is gone.

bye.
--
Departamento de Administración de Servidores.
Yuri Adrián González Robles.

Computers are worthless; they can only give you answers.
Picasso.