fai and broadcom 5700 nic

John Zaitz jzaitz at works.com
Thu Jul 31 21:16:20 CEST 2003

Hi,

First I must say that FAI is a wonderful piece of software and, although I have just started using it, I can see its power for setting up groups of hardware.

I have just received some new Dell 1750's with the BroadCom NetXtreme onboard gigiabit nics and am attempting to rebuild a kernel with the broadcom drivers compiled in rather than as a module for use as the fai kernel. Unfortunately the kernel compile fails. I have tried using the tigon3 driver but this throws an error: "problem retrieving invariants of chip". I have attached the last couple lines of the kernel compile output as well as the config I am using. Perhaps someone has been successful with getting the latest broadcom driver compiled into the kernel rather than as a module?

My other option is to go the PXE -> dhcp -> tftp route using an initrd. To date I have been unable to get the module to actually load during boot. In this case I do know that the initrd image is being transfered (as noted in the tftpd log) to the box but the module fails to load. To create the ramdisk I am running:

mkinitrd -o initrd.img  /lib/modules/2.4.20.fai.custom

then adding bcm5700 to /etc/mkinitrd/modules

Thanks for any help and/or pointers.

John