FAI console suggestion

Bruce Edge bedge at troikanetworks.com
Thu Jan 30 20:54:21 CET 2003

How about running the main FAI script, rcS_fai under the screen utility?

This would allow you to ssh to a box and attach to the screen session and interact with it as if you were on that box's console.

This would help if you have a bunch of physically distant installs going on at once. You could monitor/interact with all of them from one location.

It would also help for debugging scripts. Currently the only way I've been able to debug any of the install scripts is from the target's console. If I ssh to a target, my shell doesn't have all the environment stuff setup correctly.
With screen, you could ssh to it, attatch to the console, and then manually run scripts, without having to be sitting in front of the machine.

Lastly, using screen in shared mode, you could attach to an install started by someone else and guide them through all the menu prompts.

No, I don't have a patch for this, yet.

-Bruce