MD5 Support

Andrew Pollock andrew-fai at andrew.net.au
Thu Jan 30 12:20:15 CET 2003

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:51:09PM +1100, senaque at thepla.net wrote:
> On 28 Jan 2003 at 21:13, Andrew Pollock shaped the electrons to say...
>
> > A less kludgey method of enabling MD5 password support is:
> >
> > echo "set passwd/md5 true" | chroot /tmp/target debconf-communicate
> > DEBIAN_FRONTEND=Noninteractive chroot /tmp/target dpkg-reconfigure passwd
> >
> > Is there a FAQ for FAI? This MD5 question pops up every now and then...
> >
> > Andrew
>
> Ahh, that is truly fantastic Andrew! I've since reading your e-mail *discovered*
> debconf... it's incredible! I've found out about debconf-show also (to show what
> variables I can preconfigure for a any given package that is being installed in non-
> interactive mode), which is really important for a good FAI setup.

Glad to me of help :-)

> Quick question: where is the best place to set my debconf variables in relation to FAI?
> In /fai/scripts/S100 and then list all the packages I want to pre-configure in there or is it
> better to use a template(per class)? or how/where? I mean it would make more sense
> to set the package configs prior to installing the package, but I'm not sure if that would
> break something...I've noticed for example that in /fai/scripts/S20, the fai root
> password is being set, so this would mean it would be set prior to enabling
> passwd/md5 or passwd/shadow support (yes, it is also writing to /etc/passwd not
> /etc/shadow...) though this is easy to change or comment out.

You can always use class specific scripts to set the appropriate
variables, after the software has been installed, and reconfigure the
packages then. That's usually how I do it, or you could set them all up
front I guess, earlier in the piece like you suggest.

> Lastly, yes there is a FAQ for FAI at /usr/share/doc/fai/FAQ (not on the web) which is
> installed when you install FAI, although it is rather 'minimal' at this time. I'm sorry I had
> not realised this topic had been covered previously, though I did make an effort to
> search the mail-archives for both MD5 and md5 and only found one hit talking about
> something unrelated.

Hmmm, methinks a web based FAQ could be useful. I'm happy to bang up a
FAQoMatic if people want to contribute items...

> My apologies.
>
> I'm going to go search this list now for experiences with debconf+FAI as it seems the
> way to go ;-)

You'll find a few references to it in the archives.

> Thanks for the help...

No problem.

Andrew