MD5 Support

senaque at thepla.net senaque at thepla.net
Tue Jan 28 13:51:09 CET 2003

On 28 Jan 2003 at 21:13, Andrew Pollock shaped the electrons to say...

> A less kludgey method of enabling MD5 password support is:
>
> echo "set passwd/md5 true" | chroot /tmp/target debconf-communicate
> DEBIAN_FRONTEND=Noninteractive chroot /tmp/target dpkg-reconfigure passwd
>
> Is there a FAQ for FAI? This MD5 question pops up every now and then...
>
> Andrew

Ahh, that is truly fantastic Andrew! I've since reading your e-mail *discovered*
debconf... it's incredible! I've found out about debconf-show also (to show what
variables I can preconfigure for a any given package that is being installed in non-
interactive mode), which is really important for a good FAI setup.

Quick question: where is the best place to set my debconf variables in relation to FAI?
In /fai/scripts/S100 and then list all the packages I want to pre-configure in there or is it
better to use a template(per class)? or how/where? I mean it would make more sense
to set the package configs prior to installing the package, but I'm not sure if that would
break something...I've noticed for example that in /fai/scripts/S20, the fai root
password is being set, so this would mean it would be set prior to enabling
passwd/md5 or passwd/shadow support (yes, it is also writing to /etc/passwd not
/etc/shadow...) though this is easy to change or comment out.

Lastly, yes there is a FAQ for FAI at /usr/share/doc/fai/FAQ (not on the web) which is
installed when you install FAI, although it is rather 'minimal' at this time. I'm sorry I had
not realised this topic had been covered previously, though I did make an effort to
search the mail-archives for both MD5 and md5 and only found one hit talking about
something unrelated.

My apologies.

I'm going to go search this list now for experiences with debconf+FAI as it seems the
way to go ;-)

Thanks for the help...

Senaque
---