MD5 Support

senaque at thepla.net senaque at thepla.net
Tue Jan 28 06:11:49 CET 2003

Hi folks,

I'm wondering, have any of you 'successfully' implemented MD5+shadow support in
FAI?

By this I mean on the client installation (NFSROOT is not that important in most cases
as its just a temporary vehicle for installation).

I've just started having a look into it, and gosh, there is a lot involved. Basically in
/fai/classes/DEFAULT.var, implementing a passwordtype=md5|des option then the
rootpw would look different depending on this. This would also involve:

*  The use of a program similar to implement something similar to the 'makepasswd'
package to generate the md5 string "fai". I've had a look for something like this but the
only similar program I could find is a function used internally in base-config, or rather
the passwd package config (/var/lib/dpkg/info/passwd.config) which I intend to modify
for this purpose.

* A different set of packages? (pam, shadow, etc)

* A way to inform the system (pam etc) to use md5 instead of des

Has anyone toyed with this before? Is there an easier way? Is it possible to simplify
this dramatically by just changing some settings in /fai/files/etc/* and/or modifying
base.tgz? Perhaps umm supplying some passwd.settings for dpkg-reconfigure
passwd?

I don't believe it's a waste of time because truly the MD5 (long length passwords) are
much more secure than regular DES.

Ideas, comments and suggestions are _very_ welcome :-) It's looking to be a huge
task and any help is good help, particularly since I'm not as familiar with dpkg/debconf
as I want/should be!

Senaque.

---
E-MAIL: senaque at thepla.net