ssh

Bob Parnes rparnes at megalink.net
Mon Jan 20 22:01:13 CET 2003

Hello,

After stumbling around with fai-setup, I finally managed to install debian
on a hard drive. It was a fascinating process, and I want to express my
gratitude to all those who contributed to the project. I especially
appreciate the thoughtfulness that went into the log files.

There were some minor problems that I should be able to track down, but
there is one that I cannot. It is that ssh does not work. I did check the
archives, although I might have overlooked the right post.

The following lines appear early on in the rcS.log file:

  Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
  Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
  Disabling protocol version 2. Could not load host key
  sshd: no hostkeys available -- exiting.

Sure enough, I cannot ssh from the server. If I try to start sshd on the
client after logging in, I see the same lines as those above.

The only clue that I have is that, logged in normally as root on the client,
I cannot read the private key files. Even though their permission is 600,
I get a "permission denied" error message. If it means anything, I can
read the public key files.

Thanks for any thoughts.

bp

--