BOOT/MBR class, Kernel and fai/class

senaque at thepla.net senaque at thepla.net
Mon Jan 20 13:52:49 CET 2003

Hi fellow FAIers,

I've just stumbled on a few things today I wanted some opinions on.

I'm trying out 2.4beta (CVS) and I ran into a few things which I am unsure whether it is
of my own doing or just due to the fact its a BETA/CVS version.

First thing that I found was that in /usr/local/share/fai/class/*, the S[0-9][0-
9]*.{source,sh,pl} aren't working. After a bit of investigating I realised that /usr/bin/fai-
class (or some other script, can't remember off the top of my  head) is actually not
using the S to search for scripts, but rather just the regex "[0-9][0-9]*.{source,sh,pl}.

/usr/local/share/fai/scripts/BOOT was giving me errors (returning 1) if the "ifclass
GRUB && { .. }" segment was defined. I commented it out and it worked fine. Couldn't
find the mistake and I ran it with -x but it wasn't obvious to me, but commenting it out
worked as expected (I don't even use/need GRUB).

I also cannot find what the class "MBR" does. I've grepped just about everything and
can find no mention of it except in the example /usr/local/share/fai/class/atom (etc)
class files. I've defined this class just in case *grin*. Anyone have any idea what the
MBR class is/does and where it's used?

Lastly, I do not know if either of these issues account for this last one or not, but I can't
seem to get a freshly install to boot. I've confirmed that making changes to
scripts/BOOT (say changing label=linux to label=mykernel) actually changes the LILO,
but as soon as that kernel loads it reboots. I have no idea why it's doing it, but I've tried
3 different kernel_images (non-netbooting ones) to no avail. I have defined the correct
kernelimage variable in DEFAULT.var (full name including .deb but without path as it
searches in files/) but when I reboot the system after finishing the install and booting
off the local HDD in bios, LILO prompt comes up and detects/updates the label= but
will just reboot immediately after loading the kernel (maybe the actual kernel is not
found? or is not lilo is not finding it where it's meant to?).

LILO: linux
*reboot*

I've checked BOOT script but other than commenting out the GRUB section as
mentioned earlier, have made no changes and it looks right. and the classes defined
at the moment are: DEFAULT BOOT MBR LILO CUSTOM $HOSTNAME LAST (and
I386 and LINUX which are built-in I imagine as I don't defin them anywhere). Has
anyone experienced similar problems? Is there something else I have to edit besides
the kernelimage= variable or am I overlooking something much simpler?

Thanks in advance,

Senaque
---
Senaque <senaque at thepla.net>