checking status of all scripts ?

Bruce Edge bedge at troikanetworks.com
Fri Jan 10 17:58:57 CET 2003

I use a hook, hooks/faiend that greps the logs and filters out expected stuff and displays a completion status dialog if there was anything of note:

------------------------------
#! /bin/bash

errfile=/tmp/target/err.log

# Things to look for...
# Followed by things to ignore
grep -i \
        -e "error" \
        -e "fail" \
        -e "warn" \
        -e "no space" \
        -e "syntax" \
        -e "not found" \
        -e "couldn't" \
        -e "can't" \
        -e "E: Sorry, broken packages" \
        -e "operator expected" \
        -e "ambiguous redirect" \
        -e "No previous regular expression" \
        -e "No such" \
        -e "unknown option" \
        -e "[a-z]\+\.log:E: " \
        -e "cannot create" \
        /tmp/fai/* \
        | grep -vi \
        -e "[a-z]\+\.log:#" \
        -e "warned about = ( )" \
        -e "daemon.warn" \
        -e "kern.warn" \
        -e "rw,errors=" \
        -e "Expect some cache" \
        -e "no error" \
        -e "failmsg" \
        -e "RPC call returned error 101" \
        -e "deverror.out" \
        -e "(floppy), sector 0" \
        -e "mount version older than kernel" \
        -e "Can't locate module " \
        -e "Warning only 896MB will be used." \
        -e "hostname: Host name lookup failure" \
        -e "I can't tell the difference." \
        -e "warning, not much extra random data, consider using the -rand option" \
        -e "confC._FILE" \
        -e "Warning: 3 database(s) sources" \
        -e "were not found, (but were created)" \
        -e "removing exim" \
        -e "The home dir you specified already exists." \
        -e "No Rule for /usr/lib/ispell/default.hash." \
        -e "/usr/sbin/update-fonts-.\+: warning: absolute path" \
        -e "hostname: Unknown server error" \
        -e "EXT2-fs warning: checktime reached" \
        -e "RPC: sendmsg returned error 101" \
        -e "can't print them to stdout. Define these classes" \
        -e "warning: downgrading" \
        -e "suppress emacs errors" \
        -e "echo Error: " \
        -e "if you have both a SCSI and an IDE CD-ROM" \
        -e "not updating .\+ font directory data." \
        | sed -e "s,/tmp/fai/,," \
        > $errfile

if [ -s $errfile ] ; then
dialog --title "Install errors detected" --textbox $errfile \
20 78 1>/dev/console
fi
rm $errfile
clear

I can also ssh into a target while it's installing and run this to check on the status so far.

-Bruce