MD5 Support

Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com
Sun Feb 2 13:23:45 CET 2003

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 senaque at thepla.net wrote:

> On 2 Feb 2003 at 1:33, Sébastien GALLET shaped the electrons to say...
>

> > i've got the same problem ...  :)
> > Seems like the package passwd was not configured when running the > script
> > Modify DEFAULT/S10 like this
> >        #! /bin/sh
> >        if ifclass MD5; then
> >             #Force configuration of the package
> >            $ROOTCMD dpkg-reconfigure -fnoninteractive passwd
>
> *SNIP*
>
> Sebastien, on my particular system this still doesn't do the trick,
> however under further investigation I did find something out...
>
> It appears that if I run $ROOTCMD dpkg-reconfigure passwd, it will use
> the dialog frontend, ask me a bunch of questions then exit, and passwd
> will now be added to the debconf cache db... (then allowing me to send
> commands using debconf-communicate). But, if I run it in noninteractive
> frontend, it doesn't do anything.
>
> Is it possible that the passwd package using noninteractive frontend is
> broken? Can we use fai- divert for this purpose?

IIRC, there's a bug in dpkg-reconfigure/debconf combo which is playing
that kind of tricks. A workaround suggested on one of the .d.o mailing
lists is to first reconfigure debconf and change something, ex.:

  # dpkg-reconfigure -p low debconf

then do your thing, ex.:

  # dpkg-reconfigure -fnoninteractive passwd

and then put debconf back where it was, ex.:

  # dpkg-reconfigure -p medium debconf

But my memory may be playing tricks ;-)

Cheers,
Cristian