partitioning failure on dell 2550

Mike Horansky moho at stanford.edu
Thu Dec 18 08:48:56 CET 2003

Guten Tag,

I must be overlooking something simple, but rcS seems to be unhappy
with my disk_config:

<><><>

disk_config sda

primary  /                 3024         rw,errors=remount-ro    ; -j ext3
logical  swap              500          rw                      ;
logical  /tmp              4000         rw                      ; -j ext3
logical  /var              3000         rw                      ; -j ext3
logical  /home             2000         rw                      ; -j ext3
logical  /mirror           65000-       rw                      ; -j ext3
logical  /licensed         20000        rw                      ; -j ext3
<><><>

Below is what appears to be the relevant error:

<><><>
Attached devices:
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: DELL     Model: PERCRAID RAID5   Rev: V1.0
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
major minor  #blocks  name

   8     0  107516160 sda
   8     1    2931831 sda1
   8     2          1 sda2
   8     5     682731 sda5
   8     6     610438 sda6
   8     7    3903763 sda7
 operation not supported on SCSI disks
<><><>

The number and sizes of partitions don't match what was in my file. Is
some other file being read by accident?

The Dell has four 36-gb drives in a RAID5, so there should be about
102 gb of space available. I added aacraid to DEFAULT.mod to get the
device recognized.

http://www.stanford.edu/~moho/fai/

...has the rcS.log and other logs from the attempt.

--
-Mike Horansky, ITSS/TSS/Computing Systems (Unix)
 moho at stanford.EDU

OPINIONS EXPRESSED BY ME ARE NOT NECESSARILY SHARED BY MY EMPLOYERS.