sfdisk/sarge and ida partitions

Jay Kusler kusler at nscl.msu.edu
Fri Dec 12 05:09:43 CET 2003

Hello all,

I have successfully installed quite a few linux boxes using fai.  I
use the sarge distribution with a custom 2.4.22 installation kernel.
Today I tried to use fai with a Compaq DL360 (Smart Array disk controller)
and setup_hardisks failed to find any disks.  I tracked this down to
an sfdisk anomaly.  setup_hardisks on sarge fails unless I explicitly pass
the device name to sfdisk by patching setup_hardisks.

          $result = `sh -c "LC_ALL=C sfdisk -g -q"`;
becomes:  $result = `sh -c "LC_ALL=C sfdisk -g -q /dev/ida/c0d0"`;

and then all is well.  In the mail archives I found some older
messages describing this problem, and that it was fixed a while ago.
Well, it's back!  If I use a woody sfdisk binary and try an install,
it works fine.  A sarge binary always fails, even though they both
claim to be version 3.07.  This of course gives me a workaround, but
I wanted to bring it to the group's attention.  Is anyone else having
sfdisk 'issues'?

Thanks,
Jay Kusler